Don’t Let Your Insurance Company Minimize Your Claim: Understanding the Tactics and Protecting Your Rights
Insurance companies are for-profit organizations that are motivated to minimize the amount of money they pay out in claims. This can be particularly true in the case of personal injury claims, where insurance companies may use a variety of tactics to minimize the amount of compensation that an injured person receives. Let’s discuss the common tactics that insurance companies use to minimize claims and what you can do to protect your rights.
Common Tactics Used by Insurance Companies to Minimize Claims
Insurance companies may use a variety of tactics to minimize claims, including:
- Delaying the claims process: Insurance companies may delay the processing of a claim in the hopes that the injured person will give up or accept a lower settlement offer.
- Disputing the cause of the injury: Insurance companies may try to dispute the cause of the injury in order to reduce their liability.
- Offering a lowball settlement: Insurance companies may offer a settlement that is far less than the true value of the claim in the hopes that the injured person will accept it.
- Denying the claim outright: In some cases, insurance companies may deny a claim outright, even if there is ample evidence to support the claim.
Protecting Your Rights After a Personal Injury
If you have been injured in an accident and are facing resistance from an insurance company, it is important to protect your rights. Here are a few steps you can take:
- Hire an attorney: An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the claims process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
- Gather evidence: Gather as much evidence as possible to support your claim, including medical records, witness statements, and photographs of the injury or accident scene.
- Don’t accept a lowball settlement: Don’t be pressured into accepting a settlement that is less than the true value of your claim. An attorney can help you negotiate a fair settlement.
- Be patient: Insurance companies may try to delay the claims process, but it is important to be patient and not give up on your claim.
By understanding the tactics that insurance companies use to minimize claims and taking steps to protect your rights, you can ensure that you receive the fair compensation that you deserve.
If you have any questions about your rights after a personal injury, don’t hesitate to schedule a free consultation with one of our California lawyers to learn more about your options.
Click the button below to schedule your free consultation or call our office at (707) 549-8166.